Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mozambique Mosaic

I find joy in taking pictures.


I am proud of the work that I do here in Africa, and, while that work primarily signifies my job as an eighth-grade English teacher, it also includes the pictures that I take and share with friends and family at home.  After all, the Third Goal of the Peace Corps Experience is to:

"Help promote a better understanding of other 
peoples on the part of the Americans"

Last month, I was giddy and honored to be contacted by an Jacqui Taylor, a Harare-based illustrator, about the use of my photos for her latest project.  The project, a book entitled "Mozambique Mosaic," is about the material art and culture of Mozambique.  It covers nearly every topic imaginable, from fishing and hunting to instruments and hand-made toys.  Written by Henrik Ellert and illustrated by Jacqui Taylor, the book is expected to be published in early 2013.


Between thirty and forty of my photographs will be used in the final publication, and full credit will be granted with the inclusion of every picture.  In addition, I will be given a free copy of the book to share with my family and another copy to leave with my community.


I am thrilled to think of the pride and excitement that will sweep through my neighborhood when I show my kids that they are featured in a book.  A real, official, printed, grown-up book It will be such a source of pride for the entire community, and especially for the children themselves.  I am so happy that I could cry.

Here is a link to Jacqui Taylor's webpage, featuring some of her best illustrations and designs:


Below are a few of the photographs that have been selected to be published.  The majority of these photographs have come from three sources: Toys (June 2012), Food (August 2012), and The Market (February 2012).



For those who are interested, stay posted for more information on how to order a copy of "Mozambique Mosaic."  The book is currently over 400 pages long and promises to become one of the most intricate, comprehensive works ever published on the country of Mozambique.  Also, perhaps more importantly, stay posted for pictures of my youngest Mozambican friends as they come face-to-face with their own portraits in a real, honest-to-goodness book. 

1 comment:

  1. So, so well deserved! You are a wonderful writer and photographer. I love your blogs!

    ReplyDelete